Welcome to the Legendary Mackenzie! Step into the great wide open and discover the highest mountains, awe-inspiring glaciers, vivid turquoise lakes, golden grasslands and dazzling starry skies.
Home to Aoraki/Mount Cook & Lake Tekapo, this region is one of the most photographed and visited in all of New Zealand. Take a scenic flight into the mountains and land on glaciers; enjoy the night sky within the Aoraki Mackenzie International Dark Sky Reserve; explore the amazingly beautiful landscape by cycling, walking, kayaking, swimming, skiing and more. Stay in boutique accommodation, eat local cuisine, and smile at the genuine Kiwi hospitality you’ll find all around you. This is a landscape that stays in your memory forever - truly one of New Zealand’s most cherished treasures. Come discover the Mackenzie!
Wonder at the southern night sky, get up close with a glacier, explore off the beaten track on the many walking and cycle trails, or head for the slopes at the ski fields.
- Boat or kayak among massive icebergs on a glacier lake.
- Gaze at the stars of the Aoraki Mackenzie International Dark Sky Reserve.
- Taste the freshest sashimi at a local salmon farm.
- Bike a section of the scenic Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Trail.
- Try world class fly fishing or backcountry hunting with an expert guide.
Spring - Sept to Nov
70 - 180
Summer - Dec to Feb
100 - 300
Autumn - Mar to May
80 - 200
Winter - Jun to Aug
-50 - 120