Southland is New Zealand’s southern-most region, home to friendly people, heavenly cuisine and breath-taking landscapes. Southland’s array of lakes, rivers, mountains, open plains, and rugged coastline, stretching a staggering 3,400km make it a place of incomparable beauty. If you’ve ever dreamed of having a beach to yourself, you’re likely to find it here. Try and spot a seal, sea lion, or penguin onshore or dolphins and whales playing in the sea.
Southland’s unmatched beauty provides a natural playground – no matter what your passion.
- Go Kiwi spotting on Stewart Island
- Stand upon a petrified forest and explore the waterfalls of The Catlins
- Slurp on famous Bluff oysters and sample fresh seafood from Foveaux Strait
- Pedal your way around the countryside along the Around the Mountains Cycle Trail
- Sample a dram of Hokonui Moonshine Whiskey and fly fish for the acclaimed brown trout in Gore
- Be immersed amongst world class classic motoring history at Bill Richardson Transport World
Spring - Sept to Nov
40 - 140
Summer - Dec to Feb
100 - 250
Autumn - Mar to May
50 - 170
Winter - Jun to Aug
20 - 110