New Zealand’s most inland region, with a landscape dominated by rugged mountains, lakes, deep river gorges and tussock-clad hills, Central Otago is rich in pioneering history.
Explore picturesque gold mining towns, celebrate the work of talented artists, enjoy Central Otago wines and award winning restaurants, pick your own fruit, explore NZ’s high country, play a round of golf or make time to connect with a team of Alaskan Malamute dogs.
Discover vivid seasons and rocky, mountainous landscapes; friendly townships; a growing arts culture and well-preserved gold heritage.
- Cycle the Otago Central Rail Trail (NZ’s #1 Cycle Trail 2016), Roxburgh Gorge or Clutha Gold Trail.
- Visit local wineries and cellar doors to taste Central Otago’s world-renowned wines.
- Try go-karting or experience the thrill of a High Speed Taxi.
- Try your hand at Curling on an indoor rink open all-year round.
- Discover Central Otago’s goldmining heritage either by air, land or water on a helicopter, 4WD, river cruise or a jetboat – your choice!
Central Otago seasons
Spring - Sept to Nov
-30 - 200
Summer - Dec to Feb
100 - 300
Autumn - Mar to May
-30 - 240)
Winter - Jun to Aug
-80 - 150