Southland is New Zealand’s southern-most region, home to friendly people, heavenly cuisine and breath-taking landscapes. Southland’s array of lakes, rivers, mountains, open plains, and rugged coastline, stretching a staggering 3,400km make it a place of incomparable beauty. If you’ve ever dreamed of having a beach to yourself, you’re likely to find it here. Try and spot a seal, sea lion, or penguin onshore or dolphins and whales playing in the sea.
Southland’s unmatched beauty provides a natural playground – no matter what your passion.
- Go Kiwi spotting on Stewart Island.
- Visit the petrified forest and waterfalls of The Catlins.
- Eat Bluff oysters and fresh seafood.
- Hop on a bike and explore the countryside along The Around the Mountains Cycle Trail.
- Sample a dram of Hokonui Whisky and flyfish for Gore’s famous brown trout.
Spring - Sept to Nov
40 - 140
Summer - Dec to Feb
100 - 250
Autumn - Mar to May
50 - 170
Winter - Jun to Aug
20 - 110