The West Coast is an untamed natural wilderness, with scenery so stunning it takes your breath away and sunsets so impressive even Instagram told us to tone it down.
It takes a while to get around the largest region in New Zealand, but the journey is the best bit, from mountains to stunning coastal scenery. Along your journey you will meet local Coasters, who will welcome you with true Kiwi hospitality. The West Coast is known to rain a bit at times but we also have more sunshine hours than Auckland. Temperatures are mild in summer and crisp in winter.
Be inspired by the West Coast
- Explore limestone caves at Oparara Arches in Karamea.
- Be sprayed by the blow holes at the Pancake Rocks in Punakaiki.
- Go with a fishing guide to catch a brown trout fish at Lake Brunner, Moana.
- Take a selfie with the spectacular blue waters at the Hokitika Gorge.
- Land on a glacier in a helicopter at Franz Josef and Fox Glacier.
West Coast Seasons
Spring - Sept to Nov
90 - 170
Summer - Dec to Feb
120 - 230
Autumn - Mar to May
110 - 200
Winter - Jun to Aug
70 - 140