The Waitaki District is surrounded by natural beauty. It is a haven for wildlife including Oamaru Blue and Yellow-Eyed Penguin colonies, shags, seals, and an abundance of birdlife.
The main town of Oamaru has elegant 19th century architecture, calls itself the Steampunk capital of New Zealand, and is the finishing point of the Alps 2 Ocean cycle way—a 300km journey from the mountains to the sea.
Overflowing with natural beauty, rich in culture and heritage and brimming with activities for all.
- Visit Moeraki Boulders, Elephant Rocks and Clay Cliffs
- See the world’s smallest penguins at the Oamaru Blue Penguin Colony.
- Get the Steampunk experience, with immersive retro-futuristic sci-fi art.
- Stroll around the Victorian era architecture of downtown Oamaru.
- Ride the Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Trail.
Spring - Sept to Nov
70 - 170
Summer - Dec to Feb
120 - 300
Autumn - Mar to May
60 - 160
Winter - Jun to Aug
00 - 150