WHAT IS TMALL?
- Tmall is the world’s largest online B2C platform, allowing Chinese consumers to purchase directly from brand owners.
- Purchasing directly from brand owners develops a sense of trust with consumers – they know they are buying the genuine item!
- Tmall accounts for over 50% of the B2C online market in China, with over 70,000 domestic and international brands selling.
- Over 90% of Tmall sales are via mobile and the platform sold over USD$25-billion in goods during the one day Double11 promotion in 2017 – it’s scale is enormous.
HOW TMALL WORKS
- Think of Tmall as a platform or an online mall.
- Tmall.com is for domestic brands and Tmall Global for international brands.
- Brands build and operate their own store within the online mall.
- Customers find products through a mix of paid marketing, site search and recommendations (not dissimilar to what we are used to with western platforms such as Amazon).
- Customers purchase products which are then sent directly to their home or office.
- Tmall Global operates under the principles of cross-border-ecommerce, and stores therefore cannot sell fresh products (e.g. meat and seafood).
NEW ZEALAND BRANDS ALREADY ON TMALL
KEY PRODUCT AREAS:
- Health & Wellbeing
THE SOUTH TMALL GLOBAL STORE
Building a South store within Tmall Global allows South merchant partners to:
- Benefit from the great New Zealand brand story – provenance, environment, tourism, education etc;
- Achieve early scale in the Chinese domestic market that is challenging to achieve working alone;
- Leverage the data capabilities of the wider South programme (i.e. Chinese travellers who have visited NZ and consumers who have not visited NZ, but who display similar characteristics);
- Leverage the South brand being built across the wider Alibaba network;
- Easily sell goods to Chinese travellers / existing customers once they have returned home.
A SOLUTION TO SUIT EVERY LIFESTAGE
- Working closely with the Alibaba Group and Tmall, the South store will create a sales plan to suit every business life stage – from sophisticated participants in China, to those just beginning their China journey.
- We offer fulfilment solutions to suit every business:
- Sell via consignment, directly from our bonded warehouse in the Ningbo free trade zone;
- Dispatch directly from your warehouse in New Zealand.
- Partners pay a cost of sale, determined by their product category.